My family and I are pretty spontaneous to the point where we never really plan an activity itinerary before our travels. But when we got to Waikiki, we realised that plans were needed in order to make the most of our few days on the South shore of Honolulu.
Kuhio Beach Park Markets
THINGS TO DO IN WAIKIKI, HONOLULU
- Absolutely nothing! Have a beach day full of swimming, drinking smoothies and sleeping under palm trees or umbrellas.
- Explore a market, there are a couple in Waikiki alone, including the International Market Place and the Kuhio Beach Market
- Enjoy the many festivals that happen in Waikiki on Kalakaua Ave all year round. These are not only incredibly beautiful, but they are also a free cultural experience
- Watch the Kuhio Beach Hawaiian Hula Show, these Hulas which are performed on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday Evenings are free to watch right on Kuhio Beach!
- Shop till you drop. I couldn’t believe the fact that retail stores in Waikiki close at midnight most evenings! Some at 1am! Out of my entire US trip, shopping in Hawaii was the cheapest and best shopping I did. Try shopping along Kalakaua Ave and the Ala Moana shopping centre, be warned; this mall will take you 2 days to get through!
- Go out for dinner or to a bar and meet other tourists and locals. I wish that I had documented some of the crazy conversations I had with people in Waikiki. It attracts people from all walks of life.
Although this is a small list just for a few Waikiki activities, you’ll be surprised at how time flies!
Good luck everyone!
– Chichi Nyangoni
We found the best place to stay in Waikiki thanks to Air BnB! Not only was the view beyond incredible, but the apartment had three bedrooms a communal pool and most importantly AIR CONDITIONING! With temperatures that were over 31°C (89°F) air conditioning kept everyone from being miserable.
This apartment was located in the best area that allowed city and sea views from our 21st floor and was a 5 minute walk to the beach, 2 minute walk to a food-store and only a minute away from public transport! With accommodation prices being a little cray-cray in Hawaii’s favourite and most tourist friendly location, the prices for the apartment were pretty decent!
5 minute walk from the beach to the apartment
shameless beach selfie
fourth floor pool
Here are a few things i found useful in order to find your best Air BnB accommodation in Waikiki:
- REVIEWS, read all the reviews before you book and save yourself from dismay
- For us Kiwis who aren’t used to driving on the right hand side, stick to a place close to public transport!
- If you’re unsure about the photographs or information provided by the owner, make sure you call them & ask for recent photographs.
If all else fails and you end up at a dud place, AirBnb allows cancellations within the first 24hours, within certain rules. (Rules which we would need in Los Angeles a week later…)
Happy Travelling! x
Aloooha everyone! No one could’ve prepared me for how unbelievably gorgeous Hawaii is and just how much awesome and crazy stuff can happen; even within the tourist destination of Waikiki. At the end of September, my family and I spent a week in Waikiki in Honolulu and I had such an epic time even though it was way too brief. Seriously, just look at these photographs I took… I felt like I was walking through a post card or a screensaver 😂 I’m already saving up to get myself back there again next year!
Views from the pier
That post card life…
With only an 8 hour flight to Oahu from Auckland, you’d think the trip would’ve been a pretty easy one. However my two siblings and I ALL FAINTED during our flight!! As our flight was around midnight during the remaining weeks of NZ’s winter, I think we were all a little too layered up and underestimated the heat you feel as you draw closer to the equator! Luckily for us the Hawaiian Airlines crew took such good care of us!!
– Chichi Nyangoni